Search for another recipe
CURRIED TOFU WITH SPINACH AND MUSHROOM
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
5cm knob fresh ginger, peeled & grated
15ml (1 Tbsp) garam masala
3ml (½ tsp) turmeric
15ml (1 Tbsp) good-quality curry powder
5ml (1 tsp) low-sodium vegetable stock powder
½ chilli, deseeded & chopped (optional)
1 x 410g can chopped tomatoes
1 cup (100g) white mushrooms, sliced
600g firm tofu, cubed
150g (3 cups) shredded or baby spinach
125ml (½ cup) coconut yoghurt
milled black pepper
- Add a splash of water to a hot pan. When bubbling, add onion and garlic and fry until soft and translucent. Add a little extra water if needed.
- Stir in the spices, stock powder and chilli and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and mushrooms and cook for a further 10 minutes to reduce, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tofu and add a splash of water or stock if necessary.
- Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes then add the spinach, cover and cook to wilt, about 2 minutes. Stir in the coconut yoghurt.
- Season with pepper.
Delicious things to add
• Add sliced red pepper when adding the tofu, or add peas when you add the spinach.
• Serve on brown basmati rice with steamed green beans.
• Top with a handful of fresh coriander, or with a fresh tomato, onion and coriander salsa.
• Use a poppadom, crisped in the microwave, to scoop up the curry.